Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 05:45:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 13 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ovelette  (Read 29267 times)
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:33:30 PM »

subject: Ovelette
[Archived message]

Beats me, it's not a kitchen/cooking/food term I've ever come across and my research has drawn a blank. Any context or clues?
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:34:06 PM »

subject: Ovellette
[Archived message]

It is a baking ingredient in a cake called Screwpine or Pandan cake, a Malaysian dessert. It calls for a lot of egg yolks and coconut milk, very rich in nature and supposed to be served in very small finger-like sizes. I am not even sure I want to try baking it because of its high fat content but I have never come across this ingredient.

I wonder if I can substitute baking powder?? Somebody help !!!! By the way I found the recipe on line while looking for screwpine/ pandan plant.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:34:20 PM »

subject: Ovalette/Ovalett
[Archived message]

This descriptian from Amy Beh

"Ovalette is a stabiliser used in baking sponge cakes. It helps the eggs to rise rapidly and stiffly. As it is acidic it also helps the beaten eggs to remain stable and not lose the airy and voluminous texture. It makes sponge cake softer and smoother."

It seems to be exclusively used in Malaysian cakes. You might try the recipe without it, although if you have an Indonesian/Asian store within reach they may stock it.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:34:47 PM »

subject: ovalett
[Archived message]

Ovalett is an cake emulsifier, often used in Asian cake recipes. In my experience, when it is used in mixing and beating with other cake ingredients like flour and eggs,.. etc, it helps the mixture to be more fluffy and thick, thus the end result of the cake will turn out to be more spongy and soft in texture.

I am not too sure you are able to find it where you are staying, but like what was mentioned, you can try baking speciality shops. Places where they carried other baking enhancer like bread improver, they should have this as well. Good luck.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:01 PM »

subject: Ovalette
[Archived message]

Ovalette is also known as cake stabiliser or emulsifier. It is widely used for sponge cake mixture or swiss rolls.

The function of this ingredient is to make the cake rise nicely and evenly as well as to make it soft.

Ovalette is in dark yellow in colour and its has a gel-creamy texture. It is very easy to buy in countries like Malaysia Singapore. This cake is very important in the receipe if u want it to have a nice, even soft cake texture. Substituting it with baking powder is also possible but it wun give u the desired texture if u hv beaten the eggs mixture too much or too little. Baking powder can only give u minimal cake rise.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:16 PM »

subject: Ovelette
[Archived message]

Ovelette.

Hmm..how do I start. Ok, yes it is a baking ingredient. Normally used in making sponge cakes and 'kek lapis sarawak' if u r malaysian. Ovelette is a sponge stabilizer to ensure that your sponge cake turn out as what it is suppose to be. It holds the shape and texture of the cake. You cannot subtitute with baking powder because it is a raising agent not a stabilizer. If no ovelette you may use other kind of stabilizer called jilk. Hope this info will help u.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: