Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:12:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 20 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Belgique Gourmet Cookware  (Read 84087 times)
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:17:56 PM »

subject: Belquizue Gourmet pots
[Archived message]

I'm having a problem with the Belgique set we just purchased. I spend enough time in the kichen, now I'm spending more time trying to get the stains off of these brand new pans. If I use even a little bit of oil it seems to stick to the pan like glue. I'm looking for help.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 06:18:26 PM »

subject: Stains, discoloration, care instructions...
[Archived message]

I just purchased this cookware and I am very excited about it. I thought the care instructions that came with mine, might help you. Typically, electric burners are much hotter than cooking on a gas top. This cookware is designed to cook at lower heat. If your burner has gotten too hot, it will discolor the pan and possibly scar the copper bottom. Discoloration stains do not effect performance. The care card that came with my set mentions these possibilities if cooking with electric heat. It also recommends for best results, "season interiors by wiping with a little cooking oil. Seasoning is recommended 3 to 4 times a year. Belgique Gourmet's copper bottom has a protective layer to keep it from tarnishing in its packaging. This covering must be removed before using, otherwise the protective layer will burn to the copper base and leave black marks. To remove the protective layer dissolve 3 tablespoons of baking soda in 3 quarts of hot water and let the pan soak for 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water. After the removal of the protective layer, use a copper polish to retain the copper's luster." I don't know if this information helps or not. Happy cooking!
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 06:18:50 PM »

subject: stains
[Archived message]

While I'm by no means an expert, I am a high school home economics teacher. We used different types of cookware in my classroom. The professional styled cookware with the bonded copper base, much like Belgique, heats much more evenly than the non-plated lower quality cookware. It has been my experience that the stains you are referring too occur from cooking on too high of a heat setting. I have not cooked with my new Belgique set yet. I'll let you know if I have the same problems. Discoloration doesn't usually effect the performance of the pan. Don't give up!
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 06:19:09 PM »

subject: Belgique Gourmet Cookware
[Archived message]

I just purchased the 12-piece set at macy's for $149--seemed like such a great deal. I haven't even cooked with it yet--can the home-ec teacher give an update? I'm somewhat alarmed by the initial complaints!
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:19:31 PM »

subject: belgique gourmet
[Archived message]

I also recently purchased the belgique gourmet cookware. It is a very attractive set. I have never cooked with them but I am prying that I don't have the same promblem as you because I bought them while on vacation. I am however having trouble finding them in my state. It kinda has me wondering if they are in the same class as the other expensive brands. Has anyone else expericenced this, or have had the same thought. Also my mother has belgique but without the copper bottom and I noticed that her 2 quart pan also has a discoloration that disappears when the pot is wet and reappears when the pot is dry. This pot is mainly used for boiling water for tea. She said that she believes this happened when she was on the phone and forgot about the boiling water. Also in the store the salesman was very informative. He made a point of telling me about temperature settings and that you absolutely can not use a high temp, and that a gas burner is better than a electric burner for these pots. He told me that you must clean the copper bottom with copper cleaner, and use olive oil to treat the pots several times a year. or some sort of stainless steel cleaner. Also the discoloration however upsetting it may be especially sinces this set cost 250.00 bucks has not effected the performance of my mothers pot.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 06:19:47 PM »

subject: belgique copper bottoms
[Archived message]

clean with ketchup. works great!
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 06:20:09 PM »

subject: Belgique Gourment Cook Ware
[Archived message]

I just brought this set from Richs and so far I have only used three pots and I also want to return them. I have the same problem and I have soked them in baking soda and I still got the black stains on them. I tried cleaning them with the copper cleaner included in the box. I now have light streaks in the same form as I spread the copper cleaner. I am truly annoyed because I gave away my Phillip Richard set the day I brought the Belgique set. my Phillip Richard set was 1/4 the price but it has been two years and I do not have a stain on them. I was so happy with them I thought a step up stainless steal would be even better. Duh, I was so wrong. I am going to return them.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »

subject: Belgique Cookware Stains
[Archived message]

I also bought the belgique cookware and I was very pleased with it's preformance with the exception of the food sticking to the pot. The copper plate heated the food evenly and quickly. Also the food was still hot more than 1 hour after I cooked it. So it holds heat well. If you notice when you wash the pots in hot water the copper bottom also gets very warm. However now the problem.

1. The copper bottom looked very bad after only one use.

2. The outline from the the range eye was also outlined on the copper bottom.

3. The pot had some sort of discoloration water mark.

I was ready to pack theses babies up and take them back to the store. After all they are kinda expensive. The day I bought mine I also bought a extra piece and spent 330.00.

I was very distressed over the appearance of the pot. But I went out and bought some stainless steel and copper cleaner and that did the trick. It removed the water mark completely. It also restored the copper bottom to brand new, and the stainless steel is beautiful. I used REVERE copper and stainless steel cleaner. Product number 1046344. I did't buy the belgique cleaner because the salesman told me that they could be cleaned with cooking oil. The cooking oil didn't work for me. The copper cleaner is about 7.00. It belongs to the revere pot line but it did a beautiful job on my belgique. Now the only problem I have is the food sticking to the pan. I'm going to try a no stick spray next time before I cook with them. But also I didn't pick the ones with the non-stick bottom I did have a choice. So if you are willing to clean the pot after use then I think you will be fine. There was no scrubbing involved with the revere cleaner. It took about five minutes to clean the entire pot but it was worth it.

Torria
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 06:20:46 PM »

subject: Belgique Gourmet Cookware
[Archived message]

I have had a large Belgique Stock Pot for years, with no staining. It cooks stews and soup fabulously, I have used both electric and gas burners, though I do not cook on HIGH very often on top of the stove. I LOVE this pot and I wanted it to have some fellow cookware for many years, I have some Revere wear sauce pans, but only Teflon frying pans. Well saw the recent FDA reports regarding Teflon and went to Macy's and GEE the Gourmet is being phased out at incredible values for new Copper Gourmet, which is very attractive, but does not match my Stock Pot. So I bought myself an early Mother's Day Gift at an incredible value like 50% off. I really appreciate these cleaning tips because they will work for my Revere wear too, which actually shamefully needs it more.

Thanks.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 06:21:14 PM »

subject: Belgique cookware
[Archived message]

Rich's-Macy's advertised Belgique Gourmet 16-pc stainless/copper bottom cookware set for price break of $129.99 + 2 free gifts (7-pc utensil set cleanser) this weekend. I called their 800 gift phone line and ordered the above to be shipped to my son who attends college in another state. Received the sale price and 2 free gifts and was charged $13.95 UPS shipping charge and no sales tax, since it was shipped out of state. This order ships directly from the warehouse. Sale brochure said that it had a lifetime warranty.

Delores Atlanta,GA
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 06:22:33 PM »

subject: seasoning belgique pots: help
[Archived message]

I just bought the belgique copper bottom pots. The directions say that seasoning is recommended. How do I do this? Do I just wipe the inside with cooking oil and nothing else, or do I heat the pot once the oil is in it.

Never having "seasoned" a pot before, I'm a bit at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

subject: Food Sticking
[Archived message]

"Hot wok, cold oil, food no stick!" Quote from Cooking w/Yan. Heat the pan to the desired temperature then pour in a small amount of olive oil to coat the bottom. Besure not to leave the oil alone for too long for it will burn as well. The amount of oil varies depending on the size of the pan being used. The olive oil adds a nice flavor to most meals unlike those flavored non-stick sprays.

subject: Classique Belgique
[Archived message]

I just recently bought the 16 piece Belgique set and was alarmed that after washing the pan by hand that it has very bad blue spots, the pan seem to be fine but is very ugly on the inside. I am not very please to have paid $180.00 dollars for pans that have blue spots on the inside. Has any one had the same problem with these pans and if so what did you do to get rid of the blue spot or water spots?

subject: belgique double boiler
[Archived message]

I just had something horrible happen...the belgique pan overheated and the bottom of the pan melted all over the stove (ruined it) and when the pan was lifted it fell all over the hard wood floors and burned many holes in it... this should not have happened...I've not been overly thrilled with the set since I got it based on issues with

trying to keep them clean...does anyone know how to contact the company directly?

subject: Defective Belgique Pots
[Archived message]

I received some Belgique pots as gifts. I had used my 3.5 qt Stainless Steel pot about 2 times. On the third time the handle came off of the cover (appears not to have been welded properly. Any recourse? I believe these pots to be of inferior quality.

subject: belgique gourmet
[Archived message]

I'm curious as well something very similar happened to a client of mine and damaged their lino floors. Do they have a website?

subject: Belgique gourmet causes burns and damage to floor
[Archived message]

After only 2 moths. of use, my wife accidentaly left a pot on an electric range burner. In only 4 min., she realized her mistake, lifted it off the range to find the cooper bottom dripping off the bottom of the pot. She ended up burning both of her feet, our lino floor and partially buring cabinets. I will be contacting the manufacturer. Their website is as follows: www.fds_dot_com

subject: was urs belgique copper gourmet cookware
[Archived message]

i also bought a set of belgique gourmet copper cookware .. I am shocked to see that ur pot melted .. can u please tell me was it the same as mine ........and when u say melted .. u mean copper came out of the pot and fell on the stove .. how did u remove it from the st ove

thanks

subject: belique gourmet
[Archived message]

I agree that these pans are of inferior quality. Mine were purchased at Macy's and I expected them (the quality) to be exceptionally good. My biggest concern, so far, is that food sticks so badly that they are hardly useable. Have you had any luck with returns, through the manufacturer?

subject: Belgique replacement
[Archived message]

I have been using Belgique cookware for a number of years and am satisfied with it. Most of the time I use the 2 quart pan as a steamer and double boiler. However, my 2 qt. sauce pan is ruined from steaming and letting it go dry several times. I can't buy just the 2 quart pan from the store. Does anyone know of a website that I can contact?

subject: Belgique - different versions?
[Archived message]

I purchased my SS Belgique pots at least 10 years ago from Hudsons (Marshall Fields) before they started their own line. For a while my grandmother lived with me and put my pots through the works - water boiled out, oil left on high so that it burned in the pot, lids left on burners that were on etc, but never had the problems mentioned above.

If I am not mistaking, sometime in the last few years they switched from making the pots in Belgium to making them in China - could this be the source of the difference?

As a side note for those with colors that have appeared on the inside, spray a little white vinegar on the inside of the pot, let it sit then wash it. My aunt taught me that trick a few years ago.

subject: molten pots and pans are not good
[Archived message]

We have been receiving belgique pots and pans as gifts for a few years now, I had grown to love them (even if they discolour a bit) they worked great. However last night while cooking dinner the bottom part of the steamer set went dry. when my husband picked the pot off of the stove and turned it to the side to check it, the section between the copper plate and the actully pot splooshed out onto the floor. It appears to be aluminum ( or atleast a foil like plate formed on the floor) luckily we have tile floors so the damage was minimal. But he did get some minor burns on his foot (thankfully he was wearing socks.

i am trying to figure out how to reach the company, cause I am not scared to cook with these low melting point pots. so much for "quality". please be very careful everyone
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 06:24:57 PM »

subject: copper discoloration
[Archived message]

The copper surface of the pan can be cleaned with Cameo copper cleaner, just be careful not to use on the body or inside surface of the pan. Copper easily discolors with use but it is not usually permanent. BonAmi is a good cleanser for the rest of the surface of this product.

subject: No Sale!
[Archived message]

Just wanted to thank all of you for taking time to post your messages. I was at Macy's yesterday (looking for a double boiler)and almost bought the 14 pc. Belgique set for $200. I did notice that "Made is China" is stamped on the bottom, and maybe, as others have suggested, the quality has suffered. I guess in the past they were made in Belgium (the cleaner is still made there!!). Anyway thanks....I'll be looking for better quality....Any suggestions???

subject: Belgique cookware
[Archived message]

I recently purchased an all stainless set of Belgique cookware from Macy's (no copper). It was a better price than the copper bottom set. Copper bottom cookware is notorious for looking nice, unused, and for display, but, it looks like crap if you use them for cooking. They're a pain in the ass to maintain, and supposedly aid in the heat distribution. I've found the aluminum core stainless bonded pans distribute heat quite nicely, without the terrible concerns of appearance associated with the copper bottom pans. If you're concerned with appearance, buy the copper bottom set, hang them up and never use them. They look great. If you want them to use them, and, have them maintain there appearance, buy all stainless steel. I've had no problems. As far as inside, use a scotchbrite sponge, and scour the stains away. Never use scotchbrite on the mirror finished outside of the pots, or, they too will soon be a brushed finish. Just use the sponge side, not the scotchbrite. Also, if you're cooking with electric, I feel sorry for you, too much uncontrolled heat. Follow the manufacturers recomendations and never cook on high. If you've melted a pot, you're an idiot. Put something in the pot, it will smoke before you melt the pot. Everything burns at a certain temperature, even stainless steel, if you don't have something cooking in the pot, you're cooking the pot. Sorry, but most of these complaints are from FOOLS!

subject: Belgique copper bottoms
[Archived message]

I may be wrong because I've had mine for 4 or 5 years and am doing this from memory, but I think you soak the pot bottom in hot, soapy water for a bit, maybe 20 minutes or so, then scrub it with a GENTLE abrasive such as Bon Ami or Bartender's Friend. (I use BF, DO NOT USE COMET or anything harsh!) Good luck; I love these pots hope you do, too.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 06:25:19 PM »

subject: Here's how
[Archived message]
Instructions say to soak in 3 quarts of hot water with 3 tablespoons of baking soda for twenty minutes. Then rinse with cold water.

How do you like your pans? I just got the 11" skillet/pan for $20 at Macy's, and could not be any happier. I have only owned Teflon coated pans up til now.

subject: seasoning belgique pots
[Archived message]

I just bought the 12 piece set of Belgique cookware and also had questions about removing the plastic coating and seasoning. I put them in hot water with baking soda but am not sure whether the coating came off. I just looked up how to season a pot and here is what one wbsite recommended. I think I will get some peanut oil and try it in the oven.

Host Mary Ellen Pinkham shares tips for seasoning various types of cookware to keep it looking and cooking its best.

*They may look hard and smooth, but all pans and cookware are porous. Seasoning prevents a porous cooking surface from becoming carbonized within the ridges of its rough surface. By filling in these ridges, a barrier is created that prevents food from sticking to the surface.

*Season metal cookware immediately after bringing it home from the store. Wash the item(s) in soapy water to remove any protective coating, then rinse and then dry with a towel.

*Place the pan on a burner set on medium-low or in a 300-degree oven for about five minutes to thoroughly dry. Remove the pan from the oven with an oven mitt.

*Place a few teaspoons of either peanut oil or lard on the pan and wipe it down with a paper or cloth towel. Now place the pan on the stovetop and remove once it begins to smoke. Another option is to put it back in the oven for 20 minutes. Let the pan cool, then wipe off any excess oil.

subject: seasoning
[Archived message]

Lard is best. Peanut oil leaves a sticky residue.

subject: other oils ok?
[Archived message]

Are other oils such as canola or olive ok to use for seasoning pans (stainless steel cast iron)? We don't have lard on hand.

subject: seasoning belgique
[Archived message]

I would be careful about placing the empty pans on the stove top or in the oven for seasoning due to the easily melted aluminum bottoms.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 07:15:30 PM »

subject: melted bottom
[Archived message]

Hi - I just experienced the same problem with a melting base of the pan. I have been using my pans for about 3 years and this is the first time I have every had a problem with them. I would be interested to know if you find a phone number for the main company. and if there are others who are having this problem.

Alura

subject: same problem
[Archived message]

JUst last night we were cooking dinner and had our belgique gourmet pot go molten. scary stuff. I have not yet found a 1-800 # but I am woking on it, if I find one i'll let you know. I did find a contact possibly.

http://fds_dot_com/pressro....que.pdf

this may not be direct but they may have a way to get a hold of the company.

i'll try to keep you up-dated.

subject: Warranty Info
[Archived message]

Now that Belgique is sold by Macy's exclusively, maybe contacting them would help. Below is the information on obtaining warranty information pre-purchase. If you had warranty coverage but no longer have the papers, you may be able to access it this way. I purchased a set that are copper on the outside a few months ago and these three posts about melting pots have me worried! Please update with anything you find out. From Macy's website, "Certain items are covered by warranty as indicated. To obtain a copy of the warranty prior to purchase, please write to:

macys_dot_com Customer Service Dept.; P.O.Box 8215; Mason, Ohio 45040; Attention: Small Ticket Department - Warranty. - Libby

subject: Heat levels
[Archived message]

Hi - I was curious about what heat settings and type (electric, halogen, gas, ceramic) you used with your Belgique pot/pan. No - I do not work for Macy's. I am just curious since it states that it should be used on medium and low heat settings, and NOT on high heat settings with electric stoves that can reach 900 degrees Fahrenheit. I have the 11" skillet and have not experienced this, but I am aware of the possibility of it occurring.
straitctrydncr
Dishwasher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 12:38:59 AM »

Hi. I am glad to hear all the advice about cleaning my new Belgique pans, but distressed to know that the copper bottom can melt off.  I've been a gourmet cook for over twenty years and never heard of such a thing before. I just bought these as my Le Cruset is hard to find, although they are still my favorite kind of pan.  Nothing touches them.  Anyway, the set was a Christmas present and I have been trying them, but I find that it takes nearly four times as long to cook anything in these as with any other type of pan.  It took nearly an hour just to cook a pot of spaghetti! That is crazy.  I am a working mother, and a cook, housekeeper, etc. and don't have the time to spend hanging around in the kitchen waiting for these pots to heat up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know they said never use above a medium heat, so I've been careful never to use above 6 on my electric stove (I prefer gas, but it is not available at this house). Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. It's so frustrating that it takes so long to cook a meal for my famiy. Have any others experienced this? What do you do? I work and don't get home until almost seven at night, and don't want the family to have to wait until almost 9 p.m. to eat, then the kids have to shower and go to bed. This is ridiculous. I tried looking up a website for the pans, but to no avail. Thanks for any help.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: