Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 16 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Longhorn Prairie Dust  (Read 81281 times)
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »

subject: Longhorn Prarie Dust
[Archived message]

I would be interested in the recipe for Longhorn's Prarie Dust if you would be willing to share it.

Thanks!

Diane

subject: longhorn prarie dust
[Archived message]

ask for some and they will give you some

subject: Longhorn Pararie Dust.
[Archived message]

They will give you some but they will NOT tell you anything but "it's a secret". I would also be interested in getting this receipe. I love it on the steamed veggies.

subject: prairie dust
[Archived message]

Hello all I use to work at longhorn steakhouse and we would always have people asking for the recipe. I know my manager would sell the package of prairie dust to any one who asked. The package comes with a large amount of dust and he charged less than $8.00. The package contains more than enough for your family and even some to share. So my advise is to go to the manager at your local Longhorn and ask to buy a package. It will be a lot cheaper to do that than to make it.

cindy

subject: Longhorn Prairie Dust

http://alleylaw_dot_net
[Archived message]

I did that and they acted like I had asked to cut off the arm of the manager or something ! They told me that is was a BIG huge secret and that NO one was able to have access to it or buy it, it's NOT for sale. So another Dead end. I also asked for the clone recepie man to analyze it and got not reply.
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:57:58 PM »

subject: Longhorn Pararie Dust.

http://www.alleylaw_dot_net
[Archived message]

Ok I got lucky. A new waitress felt sorry for me and stuck a bag of the praire dust into a doggie bag for me to take home! Here is what is on the bag:

Prairie Dust # 11-4970-01

This product consists of salt, spices, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and not more than 2% soybean oil silicon dioxide added to prevent caking.

Kosher product

Net Weight 1.0 LB

IFS

Internation Food Solutions Corona Ca 92881

Germantown, WI 53022

Now here is the solution that I tried:

2Tbl Onion powder

2Tbl Garlic Powder

1Tbl Seasoned salt

1/2 tsps paprika

It's pretty close but no cigar!

Lets try out different things and see if we can come up with it.

I wrote the company, website is brand new and does have but one page, to see if they will sell it to me. I do not mind to pay for it, but HATE that they make this big deal secret out of it. It's almost enough to turn me away from Longhorn!
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 04:58:38 PM »

subject: longhorn prairie dust
[Archived message]

Longhorn Steakhouse Prairie Dust carries a trademark for its prairie dust recipe, which means it is copyrighted. They are not about to disclose the contents. However, I found that you can buy "prairie dust" from mudflapjones_dot_com. It may not be the same, but it should be similar. It is also less expensive than buying the individual ingredients.

Hopes this helps.

subject: "Prairie Dust" recipe
[Archived message]

Did you try the "prairie dust" seasoning recipe that I e-mailed you?

[Archived message]

We had the best steak ever at the Longhorn. It was cooked with prairie dust. Could you please share your recipe for prairie dust with me?

subject: praire dust
[Archived message]

Try pepper I don't think it's chili powder I've seen peeper flakes on the meat. I called and said I had food allergies they have to tell you what's in it but there food comes from cisco foods so the people that work there don't really know. Try calling cisco foods and say your a manager for longhorn and someone had an allergic reaction to the prairie dust and you need to know what spices are. Unfortunatlly spices hides all the main stuff including msg which is probally what gives it that extra kick but that stuffs terrible for your health. I did what the lady who got the ingredients did but added pepper I think it's darn close once it's cooked it's pretty much the same.

Anybody know who to make their bread I have the ingredients but don't know how to put it together.

[Archived message]

Also, try mesquite meal I just read a review on the web of longhorn and how they put the prairie dust on fry or something and said it was a mesquite flavoring. You can buy it over the web in bags at www.spmesquite_dot_com, chow for now.

subject: Trade Secret
[Archived message]

Copyright, trademakr, and Trade Secret are NOT the same thing. The NAME Prairie Dust can be trademarked, and a physical copy of the recipe can be copywritten(although in this case it isn`t). Prairie Dust IS however a Trade Secret. In order to mantain its status as a Trade Secret, Longhorn MUST make every effort to keep the Prairie Dust recipe a secret. Wikipedia has a pretty good entry on Trade Secrets.

subject: prarie dust
[Archived message]

i work _at_longhorn and couldn't tell you what the spices are in the prairie dust.But our Longhorn sells it sometimes.Good Luck
SammyCooks
Fast Food Cook

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 04:26:12 PM »

Longhorn Prairie Dust Cool

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground

1/4 brown sugar

2 tablespoons mustard powder

1/4 cup chili powder

1/4 cup ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

1/4 cup granulated garlic

2 tablespoons cayenne

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

You'll want to keep some in a shaker next to the grill or stove. Keeps indefinitely but won't last long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gourmand
Dishwasher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 09:53:17 AM »

Ok guys- I need to know what it is in Prairie Dust that makes me violently ill every time I eat there. I don't need to know any "Trade Secret", just what exactly makes me so sick so I can avoid it.

Last night, I ate a baked potato with sauteed onions and mushrooms which were heavily seasoned. Aaaaaand now I am paying for it. I am MSG sensitive, so I am assuming that is what it likely is, but would love to know for sure.

Thanks for your help in advance!
G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: