Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 04:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 24 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rice Torta  (Read 6728 times)
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:45:31 PM »

subject: Rice Torta
[Archived message]

My husband's mother used to make this dessert. It is like a rice pudding with the candied fruits that you would use in hot cross buns or fruitcake (not the red or too many green cherries). It was made at Easter. I don't have the exacr recipe but I do remember that she carmelized white sugar in the bottom of the pan, cooked the rice in milk, and made a rice pudding type custard that she poured over the carmelized sugar. When baked, and then cooled she would cut it into diamond shapes and the carmelized sugar side would be the top, like and upside down cake. My husband loves it but I can't find the recipe either...I don't think it had anything but the dried candies fruits. Good luck
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:45:55 PM »

subject: Rice Torta
A Tasteful Endeavor
[Archived message]

Italian Cheese and Rice Torte

4 eggs

1 (15 oz.) container ricotta cheese

1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

3 cups cooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice

2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 (14 oz.) jar pizza or spaghetti sauce

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray (may also use a springform pan). In large mixer bowl, combine eggs, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; beat at medium speed until blended. Stir in rice, mozzarella cheese and onion. Spoon rice mixture into prepared pan; spread evenly. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes or until center is firm. Cool 10 minutes. Heat pizza sauce. Cut torte into wedges and place on individual serving plates. Spoon about 2 tablespoons pizza sauce over each wedge. Makes 12 appetizer servings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: