Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:47:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 19 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Defrosting turkey  (Read 15003 times)
wordnerd411
Dishwasher

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:56:56 PM »

This isn't seasonal but hopefully someone can help me.

I've been roasting turkey as a way to have a handy low-fat protein to grab for sandwiches and so forth.

I've carefully followed the instructions for defrosting in the Thanksgiving section but both times the turkey was not defrosted in the time suggested.  The second time today I made sure to use deep enough cold water to cover it, except it kept floating.

Should I try and weigh the turkey down with something so it stays submerged in the water?  Or should I just allow an extra couple of hours defrosting time?  Both turkeys weighed about 12 pounds so should have defrosted in 6 hours using the cold water method.
GG
Administrator
Master Chef

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:49:30 AM »

Yes, you can weigh down the turkey and you can you can also allow longer times for the turkey to defrost. Turkeys in some grocery stores (outside the Thanksgiving season) are often kept in deep freezers before they are moved out to the general freezer section, which may account for the longer defrost time.

Defrosting for longer periods in the refrigerator (overnight) is also okay as long as you cook the turkey soon after the defrosting is completed.
Sunshine08
Line Cook

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »

this was very helpful for me as well thanks Cheesy

I work with Safeway.
globalflavors
Fast Food Cook

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »

It was floating? How strange... Maybe it wasn't heavy enough? I agree you can wrap rocks in foil then place it on top of a plate or lid to keep the turkey from floating.
spiceisnice
Dishwasher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »

Another tip is to change the cold water every 30 minutes. Since your turkey is frozen it's making the cold water even colder which takes longer to defrost.

You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients. ~ Julia Child

my food blog: snagwiremedia.com
siberian
Dishwasher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 04:16:27 PM »

Another question, can I thaw a 20# turkey in the fridg from Sunday to Thursday night? Will be out of town till Thursday evening. Will be roasting the bird Friday. Is this safe? Undecided
GG
Administrator
Master Chef

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »

Yes, you can thaw a 20 lb turkey in the refrigerator. It will take around three days depending on the refrigerator temperature and the original temperature of the frozen turkey. The turkey will keep in the fridge up to one week.

For more information about thawing and cooking a turkey see the Perfect Turkey Cookbook.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:55:00 PM by GG » Logged
Gourmet144
Fast Food Cook

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »

Yes, you can weigh down the turkey and you can you can also allow longer times for the turkey to defrost. Turkeys in some grocery stores (outside the Thanksgiving season) are often kept in deep freezers before they are moved out to the general freezer section, which may account for the longer defrost time.

Defrosting for longer periods in the refrigerator (overnight) is also okay as long as you cook the turkey soon after the defrosting is completed.

Great tip, thank you for sharing!
Gourmet144
Fast Food Cook

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »

I have to say this was very helpful. Thank you for sharing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: