Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:58:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 13 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: need help with Global recipe....  (Read 6829 times)
ssmeow
Dishwasher

My little cook.

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:36:23 AM »

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/kgk/2000/0900/hevpotatoes.html

This recipe is complete and is now in the refrigerator to chill overnight. I read the 1/2 cup of butter in the recipe as a HALF CUP and not 2 sticks. In U.S., a stick IS a half cup. Perhaps down under their sticks are a 1/4 cup each. I sure hope that I did the right thing. I'll find out tomorrow. I must say, there certainly were a fair number of steps considering the simplicity of ingredients....and two sticks seemed like a lot even for my real butter loving family (everyone lives to near 90 in my family so no cracks about cholesterol).

My mother had these at her 65th (can you imagine!) high school reunion dinner this summer and requested that I try to make a version for her dinner tomorrow. The Global Olympic version was the best I could come up with. She said that the cook that made them at the dinner called them "heavenly potatoes".

Also, do you think the dish should be covered while cooking or leave uncovered? I wish it said one way or the other.

Sandy
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:40:01 AM by ssmeow » Logged
kh
Global Moderator
Master Chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:17:20 PM »

This is a global site, so terms pop up now and then with different meanings. You're right to follow the specific measure of 1/2 cup, rather than the informal note for 2 sticks. I've not cooked the recipe myself, but since the potatoes are pre-cooked and grated, they likely don't need to be covered during baking. But to be sure: Test them half way through to make sure they're not drying out or browning too much. If so, cover with foil and continue cooking; remove foil in last 5 minutes. BUT - as I said before, I suspect you don't need to cover them at all.
ssmeow
Dishwasher

My little cook.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »

I am nearing the end of the 2 hour "hold" (at RT) before placing it in the oven. I certainly appreciate your advice.

Thank you for your help, Master Chef KH.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: