Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 09:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 18 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is a Jilk?  (Read 13518 times)
JT
Dishwasher

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:20:59 AM »

I have read a thread about Ovalette and that led to Jilk.

What is Jilk? Is it the same as sponge gel - orangey gel-like stuff?

I introduced to jilk many years back but have forgotten what it is or how does it look like.... please help!

JT believes that "the greatest gift you can give another person is your personal development".
Cookie
Administrator
Master Chef

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »

Jilk

Vegetable alpha-gel emulsifier for artisan production of cakes and other baking powder-based products. Recommended for ice cream. Keeps well also in hot climates.

Alpha-gel emulsifiers

Alpha-gel emulsifiers are used to improve both texture and volume in all kinds of baking powder-based applications, but can also be successfully applied in brioche, panettone, ice cream etc.

Owing to their active alpha-gel-phase, Aromatic emulsifiers give direct effect when added in the batter. Alpha-gel emulsifiers enable the All-in method and provide a homogenous cake batter with the preferred volume. Both the baking stability and the batter tolerance are improved. Furthermore, these products also inhibit staling and extend freshness by retarding moisture loss. Cake producers will benefit from uniform, reliable results and improved cost efficiency.

(info from a Swedish baking products site)
JT
Dishwasher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:06:34 AM »

Can someone please help to describe jilk?

I know what's it used for but I need to know what and how it look like. A picture will help greatly!!

JT believes that "the greatest gift you can give another person is your personal development".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: