Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 11:38:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 20 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do I fix too salty chili?  (Read 38157 times)
stacie
Dishwasher

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2007, 03:11:53 PM »

My husband made this recipe for chili that is normally very good, however he added 1/2 a bottle of Zing Zangs Bloody mary mix and now it is way too salty.  I'm still not sure why he added it, the recipe does not call for it.  We are having a Super Bowl party tonite, how can I make it less salty?
Cookie
Administrator
Master Chef

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »

There is no perfect solution.

Try any of these at your own risk:

Add a little bit of sugar, syrup or honey to counteract over salting.

Add water and cook off the water.

Add more ingredients, like tomato sauce  (or double the recipe without adding salt or the mix that caused the saltiness). 

Add tortilla chips, cornbread or similar to the chili.

pastaqueeng
Dishwasher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »

In my opinion, I'd divide up the chile in portions and then use it as a base for the next time you want to make it. This way you just add your meat, veggies WITHOUT the salt....I would start over making a fresh batch of chile for your guests...if you are in a hurry go buy a gallon at a restaurant. Just noticed the date of your question....you must have found a solution by now...LOL....or you ate it and are drinking a lot of liquids....lol hope all goes well next time cooking chile!
Pastaqueeng
brian
Dishwasher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:49:22 AM »

In my opinion, I'd divide up the chile in portions and then use it as a base for the next time you want to make it. This way you just add your meat, veggies WITHOUT the salt....I would start over making a fresh batch of chile for your guests...if you are in a hurry go buy a gallon at a restaurant. Just noticed the date of your question....you must have found a solution by now...LOL....or you ate it and are drinking a lot of liquids....lol hope all goes well next time cooking chile!
Pastaqueeng
I know this thread is long gone, but I wanted to post my take for any future folks with this problem.  I've tried just about every solution known for this.  Add sugar, add vinegar, add a potato, etc.  None really worked as I would have liked.  Here's what works for me: WATER.  Adding ANYTHING with flavor only complicates the issue.  Ultimately, you end up with an intensely seasoned pile of ****.  Potatoes work, but you must have the time to let the magic happen and even then, you still need to dilute.  Addition of water may compromise texture and content of fluid, but it's a small price to pay for serving snow-melting salt on a plate!  I'm generally not a recipe person, but I recently tried a recipe that called for pork shoulder cut in chunks - 1 lbs of slab bacon, smoked paprika, coriander, cumin etc.  Well, the pork was to be cut and seasoned with the coriander, cumin and smoked paprika....and then salt and pepper.  I did not look ahead and take into account the 1 LBS OF SLAB BACON!!!!  Nonetheless.....super salty.  I did have the advantage that this was just for the wife and me (I NEVER try something new when we have guests!) so the first incarnation didn't work.  Leftovers have been wonderful.  4-5 ladles in a saucier followed by two ladles of water completely did the trick.  So....take that for what its worth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: