Global Gourmet Forums
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 04:23:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540 Posts in 244 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - sandra Most online today: 18 - most online ever: 215 (October 16, 2007, 02:43:27 PM)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: cooking with wine  (Read 10967 times)
Archived Message
Chef de Cuisine

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »

[Archived message]
subject: cooking with wine

I have a crock pot recipe that includes beef, mushroom soup and onion soup mix to be served over rice or noodles.The recipe calls for red wine.I am in no way a wine connoisseur but have heard that you should not cook with a wine that you would not drink.Does any one have any suggestions on a type of wine and particular brand that would be good in this recipe? I don't want to waste the ingredients buy using a cheap wine but by the same token don't want to go over board with it either.

Thanks
shar999
Dishwasher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 11:55:26 PM »

I would use either a cabernet sauvignon or a red zinfandel.  You can buy a small bottle for between 8 to 12 dollars.
kh
Global Moderator
Master Chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 05:12:09 PM »

Supermarket wines are affordable and perfectly suitable for cooking, and drinking. Stick with any major mass market brand and you should be fine. When the recipe doesn't specify the type of wine, it usually means a dry wine -- like a cabernet if red, or chardonnay if white. You can opt for more expensive wines, but their subtleties may be lost in the everyday dish.  Smiley Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: