|foodwine.com | WineDay Annex Wine
Wines & Bites
|by Fred McMillin
Twice a week we go out on the town and try a number of wine-food combinations.
Here are some recent gems:
- Vendange '95 Chardonnay by Sebastiani (pleasing light white
with touch of oak) with a Margarita Sandwich (grilled
breast of chicken marinated in tequila and lime juice
with guacamole and cheddar cheese) at the Neiman-Marcus
- Hagafen '94 Pinot Noir (Kosher) with chocolate-chicken
40-spice mole (moh-lay), a historical Mexican dish featured
at San Francisco's Cafe Marimba in the Marina District.
- Honig '95 Reserve Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc (crisp,
sturdy, $6.50 a glass) with tiny Olympia oysters at the
- Robert Mondavi '95 Coastal Sauvignon Blanc (gentle herbs)
with one of the best warm-bread appetizers in town called
Roti Prata at the Straits Cafe.
- Hess '94 Napa Valley Pinot Noir ($6) for those who enjoy
red wine with sweet desserts like the Whiskey & Dried Cherry
Bread Pudding at the Saks Fifth Avenue Cafe on Union Square.
- Jarvis '94 Napa Valley Cabernet Franc with the ancient
Persian dish, Sabzi Polo Mahi Dudi (the fresh herbs and
intense smoked white fish demand a striking red like this
marvelous $45 Jarvis). The Maykahdeh Persian Cuisine
Restaurant on Green St. features a number of these authentic
dishes, although this particular one was served in our home
to consul wives.
Presented by The eGG.
Copyright © 1998, The electronic Gourmet Guide, Inc.
All Rights reserved.
foodwine.com | WineDay Annex Wine