Makes 6 to 8 servings
Make Ahead: The gratin should he prepared just before serving.
Turkey Tetrazzini is an old fashioned leftover-turkey spaghetti casserole named for an opera star of the early 1900s. This is an easy-to-make spinoff of the traditional version. The golden brown top, with ends of the pasta baked to a crusty turn, is irresistible.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
One 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1/2 cup chopped shallots or white part of scallions
4 cups bite-sized pieces cooked turkey (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup dry sherry, such as Manzanillo
1 pound penne pasta
One 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
1 cup heavy cream or milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
1. Position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 400° F. Lightly butter a 10 x 15-inch baking dish.
2. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they give up their juice, it evaporates, and they begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in the artichokes and shallots and cook, stirring often, until the shallots soften, about 2 minutes. Add the turkey and sherry and cook until the sherry has almost completely evaporated, about 5 minutes
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is barely tender, about 8 minutes. Do not overcook the pasta, as it with cook further in the oven. Drain well.
4. Return the drained pasta to the warm cooking pot. Add the turkey mixture, the ricotta, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the heavy cream, salt, and pepper and mix well.
5. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Bake until the top is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
By Rick Rodgers
Recipe Reprinted by permission.
Holiday Special: Thanksgiving Headquarters: A to Z
This page created 1998. Modified November 2006
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,