This Steamed Dumplings (Shao-Mai) recipe is from the Culinary Institute of America's The Professional Chef cookbook.
Makes 10 servings
1. Place the pork, ginger, green onions, oyster sauce, soy sauce, oil, cornstarch, egg, wine, salt, and pepper into a chilled food processor bowl. Pulse the mixture until well combined. The mixture will begin to pull together into one mass. Transfer to a chilled mixing bowl.
2. Add the shrimp, water chestnuts, carrots, and cilantro. Mix until incorporated and chill the mixture until it is very cold.
3. Using a tablespoon, place a mound of the filling mixture in the center of each wrapper. Gather the outer edges of the wrapper to form a cylinder, so the filling is exposed at the top. Wrap your pointer finger and thumb around the center "waist." Dip your thumb from the opposite hand in water (to prevent sticking) and use it to compact the filling in the dumpling. Gently tap the entire dumpling on the table to insure that it stays upright in the steamer.
4. Bring water in a steamer to a vigorous boil. Oil steamer with sesame oil or line it with leaves or parchment paper to prevent the dumplings from sticking.
5. Arrange the dumplings in the steamer. Cover and steam for approximately 5 minutes, or until cooked through and firm.
6. Turn off the heat and let the dumplings rest for a few minutes before removing. Serve immediately with the sauce
For smaller, passed hors d'oeuvre, use 1 tsp/5 mL filling per dumpling.
*Brunoise: Dice cut of 1/8-in/3-mm cubes. For a brunoise cut, items are first cut in julienne, then cut crosswise. For a fine brunoise, 1/16-in/1.50-mm cube, cut items first in fine julienne.
Makes 32 fl oz/960 mL
1. Whisk together all the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.
2. The sauce is ready to serve now, or it may be refrigerated for later use.
The Professional Chef
From the Culinary Institute of America
$70.00; 1213 pages
650 color photographs
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created December 2006
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,