Makes 18 servings
Rubio's Baja Grill in San Diego started the fish taco craze north of the border in 1983 when Ralph Rubio transplanted his favorite recipe from a small taco vendor on the Baja coast to his southern California restaurant. Here is my version of this beachside treat. It borrows from the English fish and chips, but is very much like the tacos served beachside in Baja, California. The dredging and the second round of frying are the secret to crispy fish.
1-1/2 pounds Dorado (mahi-mahi)
or other firm fish, cut in 2-1/2-inch pieces
8 ounces full-flavored pale ale or Mexican lager
3 whole eggs, well beaten
2 teaspoons Coleman's dry mustard (optional)
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile or other red chile powder (optional)
1 tablespoon salt
Pepper to taste
2 teaspoons sugar
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 cup for dredging
Oil for frying (preferably canola or peanut oil)
Flour or corn tortillas
1. Mix half of the beer with all other ingredients except fish, oil, and tortillas; blend well with a whisk.
2. When all lumps have been smoothed, continue to add remaining beer until a batter with a consistency slightly thinner than pancake batter is attained. Keep the batter chilled.
3. Dredge fish filets in flour and dip in batter, being careful to coat completely. Allow excess to drip back into the batter.
4. Fry the fish in 350-degree oil for 2-1/2 to 4 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Drain well and allow to cool slightly.
5. When ready to serve, heat tortillas and place in a towel or cloth to keep warm.
6. Refry the fish for about 1 more minute to make it crispy.
7. Place fish in warm tortillas and garnish with shredded cabbage and salsa; mayonnaise; sour cream flavored with chipotle chiles en adobo; or chopped, pickled jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice.
Authentic Recipes and Traditions
by Daniel Hoyer
Gibbs Smith, Publisher
Recipe reprinted by permission.
More about Mexico with recipes.
This page created April 2006
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,