Makes 6 servings, about 1 cup each.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Start to Finish: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Ease of Preparation: Moderate
This updated spring classic calls for nutty-tasting short-grain brown rice instead of the traditional white arborio. Because the cooking time is longer with whole-grain rice, this risotto is cooked in the oven rather than on the stovetop, eliminating the need for almost constant stirring.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
(about 1-1/2 cups)
1 cup short- or medium-grain brown rice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 (14-1/2-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
or 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
8 ounces asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into
1-inch pieces (2 cups)
1 cup sugar snap peas or snow peas, trimmed, cut into
1 cup diced red bell pepper (1 medium)
1-1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (3-1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1-2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest, preferably organic
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Ingredient Note: Use short- or medium-grain brown rice to achieve the characteristic creamy risotto texture.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or ovenproof deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice and garlic; cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in wine and simmer until it has mostly evaporated. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven.
3. Bake until the rice is just tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Shortly before the risotto is done, steam asparagus, peas and bell pepper until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
5. Fold the steamed vegetables, Parmesan, parsley, chives, lemon zest and pepper into the risotto. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: 267 Calories; 8 g Fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 11 mg Cholesterol; 35 g Carbohydrate; 12 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 607 mg Sodium.
Nutritional Bonus: 65 mg Vitamin C (110% DV), 30% DV Vitamin A, 253 mg Calcium (25% DV).
The Essential EatingWell Cookbook
Edited by Patsy Jamieson
The Countryman Press
$29.95 US/$44.00 CAN
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created October 2004
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,