12 ounces penne (about 4 cups)
Spicy Tomato Sauce
1 (14-1/2-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
(or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
(or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed)
To Complete the Recipe
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces medium shrimp
(about 20), shelled and deveined
2 bay leaves
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese
1. Bring a 1arge pot of water to a boil over high heat; add salt, then the penne. When the water returns to a boil, stir occasionally to separate the penne. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for about 12 to 14 minutes, or according to package instructions, until noodles are al dente.
2. While the penne is cooking, put the sauce ingredients (except the oregano and rosemary) into a food processor; process until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the oregano and rosemary.
3. When the pasta is nearly done, melt the butter in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the sauce and bay leaves; heat until the sauce is bubbly. Add the shrimp; cook, stirring and constantly turning the shrimp, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until they are cooked through. Remove the pan from the heat; remove and discard the bay leaves. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to a bowl; cover to keep warm.
4. When the penne is done; drain well; return to the pot. Add sauce and toss. Adjust seasonings to taste.
5. Serve the penne in shallow pasta bowls; arrange the shrimp on top of each serving.
Cal 466/Prot 23.2g/Carb 72.7gIFat 9.2g/Chol 95mg/Sod 467mg
The sauce can be made up to 2 days in advance; cover and refrigerate. Reheat the sauce, cook the shrimp, and cook the penne just before serving.
The 15-Minute Gourmet: Noodles
Buy the Book!
The 15-Minute Gourmet
Series by Paulette Mitchell
IDG Books Worldwide, Inc., December 1999
Paperback, each $16.95
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created May 2000
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,