Yield: 6 or more servings.
This lamb loaf is a tasty twist on beef meat loaf. Sometimes I add some ground veal for a more subtle flavor.
2 pounds ground lean lamb
1 tablespoon corn, peanut, or vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or more if desired)
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put meat in a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are wilted. Set aside to cool briefly.
4. Add cooked vegetables to meat. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, mustard, bread crumbs, and egg. Blend well with the fingers.
5. Pack mixture into a 6-cup loaf pan. Smooth the top.
6. Place the pan in the oven and bake 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
Cooking with the 60-Minute Gourmet
300 Rediscovered Recipes From
Pierre Franey's Classic New York Times Column
By Pierre Franey and Bryan Miller
Times Books, August 1999
Recipe Reprinted by permission.
This page created October 1999
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,