Chocolates and Confections at Home by Peter P. Greweling and The Culinary Institute of America, includes recipes like Almond Dragees; Green Tea Truffles; and Rochers; and techniques like Dry Sugar Cooking and Tempering Chocolate.
Makes 250 Pieces
This is a slightly simplified version of dragees for home use. You can substitute hazelnuts for the almonds in this recipe for an equally delicious rendition.
This is an efficient way to make chocolates for a group of people.
Skill Level 2 of 3
1. Place the almonds into a 300 degrees F oven in a baking pan or ovenproof bowl to warm them. Lightly oil a sheet pan.
2. Combine the sugar, water, and lemon juice in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue cooking until the sugar has caramelized to a light golden color (see Dry Sugar Cooking).
3. Add the almonds to the caramel and stir constantly over low heat to coat the nuts with the caramel.
4. When the nuts are evenly coated, add the butter and stir gently to melt the butter and coat the nuts.
5. Pour the nuts onto the prepared pan. Before they cool completely, separate them into individual nuts.
6. Allow the nuts to cool completely to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Put the nuts in the refiigerator for 5 minutes.
7. Place the chilled nuts in a large bowl. Add one third of the tempered chocolate. Stir vigorously until the nuts gather together in one mass, then break back apart into individual pieces.
8. Place the nuts in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Repeat step 7 with another third of the chocolate.
9. Place the nuts back in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Add the remaining chocolate and once again stir vigorously until the nuts gather together in one mass, and then break back apart into individual pieces.
10. Sprinkle the cocoa powder or confectioners' sugar on the nuts and stir lightly.
11. Shake the excess powder off the nuts. Store at room temperature.
This page created April 2010
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,