Preparation time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 4 hours
Use: 1 loaf tin 20cm x 8cm (8in x 3in)
Makes: 10 large, very rich slices
Konditor and Cook is the place we go to each day for our lunch. We try to resist it as it is a bit of a luxury, but those beautiful, minimalist, pale blue paper bags keep appearing at lunch time. Now and again eyeing up the pastries proves to be too much and one of us, unable to resist the temptation, buys one. This recipe for Chocolate Biscuit Cake was kindly given to us by Chef Gerhard Jenne. We promised him we would never try to make it on a bigger scale!
1/2 cup (1 stick)
plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup golden syrup (if unavailable, use corn syrup)
Two 3-1/2 ounce dark chocolate bars, minimum 60% cocoa solids,
broken into pieces
4 digestive biscuits (cookies or graham crackers)
1/2 cup whole walnuts
1/4 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
1/3 cup candied cherries (reserving some for decoration)
1) Line the loaf pan with parchment paper or alternatively butter the pan. Set aside.
2) Melt the butter and syrup together in a small saucepan over a gentle heat until they begin to boil.
3) Melt the chocolate in a bowl over barely simmering water, and then mix thoroughly with the butter and syrup.
4) Pasteurize the egg by beating it slowly and continuously into the hot chocolate mixture.
5) Break up the biscuits into large chunks; remember they will be broken further when mixed so don?t make them too small.
6) Add the walnuts, sultanas and cherries, but remember to reserve some cherries for decoration.
7) Pour the chocolate mixture onto the dry ingredients and mix together with a spatula or wooden spoon.
8) Press the mixture into the pan and decorate with the reserved cherries. Set in the fridge for 4 hours. Remove from the fridge, peel off the paper and cut into slices or cubes. Serve chilled.
Green and Black's Chocolate Recipes
From the Cacao Pod to Muffins, Mousses and Moles
Editor: Caroline Jeremy
Photographs by Francesca Yorke
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created October 2005
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,