Makes about 20
As a Scot, I am naturally partial to good shortbread, and I like to use both a pâte sablé dough as well as a richer pâte brêton (below). You can keep the dough in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, and slice off rounds to bake whenever you want fresh cookies.
1-1/2 cups (200 g) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. (125 g) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (100 g) sugar, plus extra for sprinkling (optional)
1 extra large egg, beaten
1/2 cup (50 g) finely ground toasted hazelnuts
1. Sift the flour with the salt. Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in the egg.
2. With the mixer on its slowest setting, add the flour a spoonful at a time, then the nuts. Stop mixing as soon as the dough clumps together.
3. Lift the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Shape into a roll 1-1/2 in. (4 cm) in diameter and wrap well. Chill for at least 2 hours until firm.
4. To bake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Slice off rounds of dough, 1/4 in. (5 mm) thick. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and prick lightly with a fork. Bake for about 20 minutes until very pale golden.
5. Leave on the baking sheet for a minute, then lift onto a wire rack. For a classic appearance, sprinkle with sugar as the cookies cool.
Hazelnut and Chocolate Shortbread
Dip the cooled shortbread into 4 oz. (125 g) melted bittersweet chocolate to half-coat, then leave on baking parchment to set.
Gordon Ramsay's Just Desserts
by Gordon Ramsay with Roz Denny
Laurel Glen Publishing
October 2001; $29.95/hardcover
Color photography by Georgia Glynn Smith
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created May 2002
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,