Yield: 1 loaf Pan: 9" x 5" x 3"
1. Sift together the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. Combine the wet ingredients, egg, milk and melted shortening.
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring just until flour is well moistened, but not totally smooth. A few small lumps are OK.
4. Fold in nuts and dates. Pour into greased, lined loaf pan, 9" x 5" x 3"
5. Bake in moderate oven (350 F) for 1 hour. Cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pan. Makes 1 one-pound loaf
NB: "One cup walnuts, finely chopped" means chop the walnuts after measuring. One cup chopped dates means chop the dates, then measure them. A little of the flour on the dates helps when chopping.
© 1997, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1994 and 1998.
Copyright © 2007, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Modified August 2007
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,