This is a somewhat more sophisticated way of serving chili con carne, one of the staples of the true Texas diet. And while they are not always mixed into the the chile con carne, plain cooked pinto beans are mandatory at any barbecue, be it backyard or at a restaurant. This is downhome food, made extra special by the smoky chipotle chiles and the deeply flavored, chili-laden gravy. Like all rustic foods, it goes particularly well with good-natured guests and ice-cold brews.
Chili Bean Gravy:
To Cook the Steaks:
1. Before cooking the steaks, prepare the Chili Bean Gravy as directed below.
2. Prepare the charcoal grill or preheat the broiler for the steaks. Rub the steaks lightly with olive oil on each side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste just before grilling.
3. Cook the steaks on a hot grill or under a very hot broiler, about 2 to 4 minutes per side, as desired. The fire should be hot and close enough to char the steaks lightly on the outside while just cooking the inside to your preferred taste.
4. Let the steaks rest 5 minutes before cutting. Serve topped with the steaming hot Chili Bean Gravy
To Make the Chili Bean Gravy:
5. Purée the tomatoes, reserving their juice, and all other ingredients except for the beans and beef broth in a blender. Add 3/4 cup of the beans and purée until smooth. (To avoid splattering, you may need to purée in 2 batches, if the ingredients are too much for the container.)
6. Pour the purée, the juice from the tomatoes and the beef broth into a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer on low 15 to 20 minutes for the flavors to blend and for the sauce to thicken. If the mixture is grainy, purée again until smooth.
7. Heat the purée with the remaining beans. Cover and simmer on low 5 minutes, or until the beans are warmed through. Keep covered until the steaks are done. If necessary, reheat before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with Sassy Molasses Cornbread and Lemon Pepper Coleslaw (see recipes), fresh lemonade and peach cobbler with vanilla ice-cream.
©1994, 2007 Katherine Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,