Yield: 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves
Some believe that the City by the Bay's fog, humidity, and moderate warmth create the ideal microclimate for the unique wild yeasts that give San Francisco sourdoughs their special flavor We think it's quite possible to make sourdough that's just as good, just about any where. This flavored bread evokes the southwestern range and makes great toast.
1. Place the starter and lukewarm water in the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer or in a large mixing bowl.
2. Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture, stir in, and let sit for 2 minutes.
3. Add the dry ingredients.
4. Mix with the dough hook (or knead by hand) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the dough is silky and elastic.
5. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
6. Let rise in a warm place for 4 hours, or until approximately doubled in volume.
7. Punch the dough down, and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface.
8. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal.
9. Gently pull and stretch the dough into a round loaf or 2 small loaves in the shape of your choice.
10. Place the loaf on the prepared baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
11. Place a baking stone on the middle rack in the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.
12. Uncover the loaf and, using a spray bottle, spritz with water, then lightly dust with bread flour.
13. Make 2 or 3 diagonal slashes in the top of the loaf with a serrated knife to allow the dough to expand in the hot oven.
14. Using the spray bottle, spritz the oven walls with water. Work quickly so the oven does not lose heat.
15. Slide the loaf onto the hot stone.
16. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is dark brown.
17. Transfer the loaf to a rack to cool.
Recipes From Mark Miller's Coyote Cafe
by Mark Miller and Andrew MacLauchlan
176 pages, full-color, 1997
paper, ISBN: 0-89815-862-1
cloth, ISBN: 0-89815-889-3
Reprinted by permission
This page modified February 2007
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,