Serves 6 to 8
This is the traditional original lasagna, first cooked in Bologna. It's a hearty dish made of multiple layerings of regular and spinach noodles, filled with rich Bolognese sauce and creamy bechamel.
Use a food processor to chop the onions, celery, and carrots. Look for meat that is not too lean. You'll want some fat from the meat to add flavor to the sauce.
The sauce recipe can be easily doubled for a large lasagna, or frozen for later use.
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until tender, but not brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the beef. Using a wooden spoon, break up bits of meat and stir occasionally. Cook until meat is almost cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
6. Preheat oven to 375°F.
7. Spray a 13 x 9 x 3-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Layer by Layer Assembly
8. Spread a layer of Bolognese Sauce on the bottom of the dish. Cover with egg noodles, slightly overlapping.
9. For the filling, spread a layer of Béchamel Sauce over the noodles and sprinkle with pecorino.
10. Top with spinach noodles.
11. Continue to layer in the following order until you have run out of noodles, reserving some of both sauces:
12. Top with remaining Béchamel Sauce and pecorino. Reserve the remaining Bolognese Sauce for serving. Advance prep completed. (The lasagna can be made one day in advance to this step. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let lasagna come to room temperature before baking.)
13. Cover with foil and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes until serving. Serve with additional Bolognese Sauce and pecorino.
This page created January 2009
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,