Serves 10 to 12
If you love both chocolate and white cakes, this one will satisfy all your needs in one luscious cake.
Decorate with any of the following icings:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
Two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans, sprayed with nonstick spray
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup (250 mL) of the water and vanilla. Set both aside.
2. In a mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg whites, one at a lime, beating for 1 minute between each addition. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture alternating with water mixture, making three additions of flour and two of water, just until blended.
3. Transfer about 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) of batter to another small bowl. Blend in remaining water and cocoa powder.
1. Divide white batter evenly between prepared pans. Using a spoon, drop six large puddles of chocolate batter over top of each pan of white batter. Using a small knife, drag through puddles in a spiral motion to create a marbling effect. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 22 to 28 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.
5. For best results for decorating, wrap cake layers in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 to 2 days. Decorate with Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Frosting or any of the icings (in the book).
Makes about 3 cups (750 mL)
My favorite cake includes this frosting and dark chocolate layers.
Frosting can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 48 hours. If you refrigerate frosting, let it stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Whip again in mixer until light and fluffy.
1. In a mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter, vanilla and chocolate extracts until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
2. Gradually add confectioner's sugar, mixing on low speed until it starts to blend into butter, about 2 minutes. Increase speed to high and whip until fluffy and light, about 4 minutes. Decrease speed to low and drizzle in cooled bittersweet chocolate. Increase speed to high and whip until fully blended, about 3 minutes.
This page created November 2007
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,